at The Agnes Irwin School
Saturday, April 29, 2017
8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
Click HERE to sign up for more information!
An AAUW program, Tech Savvy is a daylong science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) career conference designed to attract girls in sixth–ninth grade to these fields and to inform families about STEM education and careers. Join us and girls from across the Philadelphia region for a fun, action-packed day of workshops and speakers!
Our registration page and full program schedule, including details on our workshops and keynote speaker, will become available in mid-March, at which point you will find them here. To receive an email notification when registration is open, click here.
- WHAT: Tech Savvy, a daylong STEM career conference for 6-9th grade girls, featuring hands-on workshops and "savvy skills" sessions, and a separate parents' program
- Girls in 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th grade
- Parents/guardians are invited to attend a separate parents' program
- WHEN: 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. on Saturday, April 29
- WHERE: The Agnes Irwin School, Ithan Ave. and Conestoga Road, Rosemont, PA 19010
- $20 for students
- $10 for parents
- Fee includes breakfast, lunch, t-shirt and tote, plus a raffle entry for a chance to win a GoPro camera!
Tech Savvy for Girls
This program is open to any and all 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th grade girl interested in learning more about science, technology, engineering and math. The day begins with hands-on workshops in various math and science fields. The second portion of the day focuses on “savvy skills.” These are skills girls can use in their daily lives, such as critical thinking, sharing opinions, public speaking, and knowledge about financial literacy, negotiation, and interviewing.
Students will select three of the following hands-on workshops to explore in the morning. In the afternoon, they'll attend two "Savvy Skills" workshops of their choosing. Check back soon for full descriptions of each student session!
Hands-on Workshops (pick three):
- Physics in Motion: Graph Matching Challenge
- The Art of Mathematics: Exploring Fractals
- The Chemistry of Slime and Other More Practical Polymers
- The M&Ms of Statistical Analysis
- My World, My Impact
- What's in Your Genes?
- Designing in 3D
- Programming Your Personal Robot
Savvy Skills Sessions (pick two):
- Cyber-Slammed: How Not To Be A Punk (Or Be Punked) Online
- Conflict: There's No Problem We Can't Solve!
- Personal Finance: Your Money, Your Dreams!
- Interviewing: The Art of Getting the Information You Seek
- Play. Create. Collaborate!
- Leadership: It's Already in Me!
- T.E.A.M. Building
Tech Savvy for Parents
The parents’ program features speakers on STEM education and careers, encouraging parents to ask questions about these fields. Parents will also have a chance to explore resource tables from colleges & universities and local STEM-related nonprofits. During the final portion of the day, parents and girls reconvene to hear from a keynote speaker relevant to the theme of the conference.
Parent session themes include:
- Why Study STEM? Career Benefits of STEM
- STEM, Girls & the College Process
- How to Encourage Girls in STEM Fields
Share Tech Savvy With A Friend
Ways to share:
- Print or email our Tech Savvy flier to a friend:
- Post about #TechSavvyAtAIS on social media
We look forward to sharing this exciting day with you!