Senior Gianna Napoleon signed her national letter of intent to play volleyball next year at Thomas Jefferson University at a ceremony on Wednesday, surrounded by coaches, teammates, family, and friends.
AIS Volleyball Coach Sarah Lawrence praised Gianna’s commitment, drive, and determination. “Gianna has provided tremendous leadership for her teammates and classmates by demonstrating the characteristics of the ideal of a student-athlete, prioritizing her studies but also making sure that she is fully dedicated to the team she cares deeply about,” remarked Ms. Lawrence.
Gianna, who plans to major in finance at Jefferson, joined the team as a freshman, and earned Volleyball All Inter-Ac all four years and was chosen for the All-Main Line Volleyball Team on multiple occasions. In addition, she was selected to train and play with the USA Volleyball high performance team in Colorado Springs, Colorado, during the summer of her junior year.
Gianna joins 10 other seniors — totaling 16 percent of the Class of 2019 — committed to continuing their sports at a collegiate level, including:
- Maddie Aguirre, University of Wisconsin, swimming
- Lauren Avery, Syracuse University, lacrosse
- Grace Bartosh, Harvard University, lacrosse
- Emma Bonner, Boston College, crew
- Emily Coyne, University of Pennsylvania, lacrosse
- Caroline Glaser, Bowdoin College, squash
- Gianna Napoleon, Thomas Jefferson University, volleyball
- Lauren Rader, Bucknell University, lacrosse
- Isabella Schneider, Tufts University, squash
- Cecilia Senyk, Colgate University, lacrosse
- Emily Wills, Loyola University Maryland, lacrosse