Lifetime Income Gifts
Pooled Income Fund
The Agnes Irwin School Pooled Income Fund operates like a "charitable mutual fund" and will provide you, or up to two beneficiaries, income for life. You receive income based on the performance of the Pooled Income Fund, not on a set rate of return.
The School combines your gift (minimum gift of $10,000 and subsequent gifts of $5,000), with those of other donors. The funds are invested jointly, in a mix of bonds and equities, and each contributor receives a pro rata share of dividend and interest income.
You will receive a charitable income tax deduction for a portion of your gift in the year you make it, with up to five additional years to take any unused portion of the deduction. The Fund is currently paying between 4% and 5%.
Charitable Remainder Trusts
A Charitable Remainder Trust (CRT) is a separately invested and managed charitable trust that pays income to you, or to beneficiaries you name, for life or a term of years. At the termination of the trust, the principal goes to the School.
You can use a variety of assets to fund a CRT:
- Publicly traded stocks and bonds
- Closely-held stock and real estate
- Tangible personal property, such as works of art, may be used in some instances
You can tailor it to suit your needs:
- Build retirement income
- Generate a higher income from assets you currently own
- Provide for your spouse, family members or other beneficiaries
There are two basic types of Charitable Remainder Trusts:
- A Unitrust (CRUT) which pays a variable income, typically between 5-7% per year based on a fixed percentage of the trust assets as revalued once a year. One advantage of a unitrust is that your income can increase as the trust principal grows over time. Also, you may make additional contributions to the unitrust principal at any time.
- An Annuity Trust (CRAT) which gives you the opportunity to choose to receive a fixed dollar amount from the trust each year. Those who are interested in the security of a fixed annual income often prefer the annuity trust. Additional contributions cannot be made to annuity trusts
Charitable Gift Annuity
A Charitable Gift Annuity will provide you income for life, while also allowing you to make a significant gift to The Agnes Irwin School.
Additional benefits of a Gift Annuity are:
- A steady income for life which is paid out quarterly.
- Annuity payments are backed by the school's endowment and are guaranteed, regardless of fluctuations in the stock market or interest rates
- A charitable income tax deduction, favorable tax treatment of a portion of the payments you receive, and a potential estate tax savings
The Agnes Irwin School accepts gift annuities in the amount of $10,000 and higher, and offers all alumnae and friends of the school, age 68 and older, the same income rate of 5%.